Friday, December 26, 2014

Time to Quit








Yes, ...yes, ...it's almost 'that day'. I will have worked in this cubicle environment for exactly 3 years now. It was an experience, yes, and also a good one. But, ...it's time to quit!

And I won't miss it for a second when I think of where I will be working next. My office will be the sea starting somewhere in April 2015. I am so looking forward to it, but you all know that. I'm sure I'll miss a few people from the floor though. But they can visit me any time. Malta is not far. :-)

My blog will most probably (hopefully hehe) start to get more interesting from that month on, with of course more pictures and personal experiences from abroad, starting with Malta. Bare with me!  


So, on Tuesdays I will resign from my current job. My resignation time will overlap 2,5 months, making me jobless around half March. Not a big deal of course, because after all another real change is being brought to reality. The best change ever, and one I need so much.

Almost all my colleagues and especially the managements and the team coaches have been notified a few months ago around August/September about my plans. Even if not all of them really believed in the fact that I would pursue my dream, they were alerted in time.
A few days ago I had a conversation with my TC and HR to inform them I will be asking for my resignation next week, on Tuesdays more precisely, since I'm off for a few days till after New Year.


Hence, my resignation period will kick off the 5th of January. I must say at this point of the day, a few days before I send it in, it feels quite weird. It feels like there will be no turning back anymore.
And to be honest, that's exactly what I want and need. Again, this action will put me in a whole different level of preparation, if it were only mentally.


There are days that I still have doubts about my adventure, but these thoughts are only short moments and get quickly voted in my mind as: You've been there, forget the doubts. You 've gone through everything needed in order to feel comfortable with your decision. Note that it's good to have these unsure thoughts, just because they often make you dig that little bit deeper in that internet in order to find the information you need to boost your moral in the right direction. 
When it's needed, it's needed, but I need those mental boosters less and less. :-)

Time to embrace something new, as a matter of fact I start to realize it as if that dream has always been there. 

These last months I have been reading a lot of stuff concerning my future and I stumbled upon some very interesting blogs and sites.

Here's a few of them I have enjoyed a lot. All of these helped me form myself a picture about what to expect. Both from a positive as well as from a negative approach. You can get tremendous information when reading up on all kinds of blogs concerning the travel bug. And I can tell you, there's a lot of interesting people out there trying to do be a good expat, and also a lot of them are living it. They do live their dream. 

For me, it all started when I started reading Rika's Cubicle Throwdown shortly after my first Malta vacation, when I started thinking about living abroad and wondering what to do with my life.

Here's another few good reads that I've come across and all helped me, partially giving me the strength to continue with my the dream plan:

Travel stuff
Turner Bar
12 Characteristics of an Expat
Expat Guide: Is Expat life for me? 

Diving stuff
Steve Prior 
Dive Careers
Alex Brylske





No comments:

Post a Comment